Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WTF

I found one day that I had completely forgotten how to read. Unfortunately, it was a problem that I knew had been encroaching upon the outskirts of my outer consciousness, like the shadow that slowly but surely begins its takeover of the sky. Reading was easy before; it was like walking, or breathing, or inhaling bacon strips three at a time. I never considered that one day the words would begin to tumble into each other, the sentences breaking off from their punctual anchors and drifting elsewhere on the page. I never once imagined that the words would come to taunt me so, beginning to phase into coherence and fading away just as quickly. I never allowed myself to think that all of it would leave me so quickly. 
I suppose I did know, somewhere in the recesses of my morbid imagination, that I would grow old and lose the comprehension that was once so sharp and simple. That the ideas, the metaphors, would slowly foop away into an apathetic greyness, along with my memory and physical vigor and tenacity. I knew all of that. But I guess I always assumed youth was a gift taken away slowly. Evidently not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment